With a budget of $150, you have a variety of great open back headphones to select from. First of all, there are some vital benefits you will get from choosing the best open back headphones.
Using open-back “ear cups” allows sound to flow freely between your ears and the outside air.
Such ease with which sound passes back and forth not only produces a very wide sound and stage; it also gives you the feeling of being in a studio listening to musicians playing around you.
We have hereby compiled the list of the best open back headphones under $150, which includes some popular brands, as well as brands that you may be hearing for the first time. The list comprises two Sennheiser models, an AKG Pro, an ASTRO, and a Grado.
All the above set of headphones come with their unique features, such as microphones, transducers, extra adapters, and cables of various kinds. Also, these headphones are all wired.
You can now read on and compare between different types of models to choose the best open back headphone selling for less than $150.
Best open back headphones under 150$ in 2021:
1. Sennheiser HD 559 Open Back Headphones
These are compact headphones that comprise 38mm, 50Ohm traducers, and aluminum voice coils to provide you with excellent dynamics, increased efficiency, and less distortion.
As regards the sound, the impedance is 50 Ohms, while the frequency response is between 14Hz and 26,000 Hz. Of course, sound leak arises because they are open back, making other people hear some of the stuff you are listening to.
Because they are over-ear, HD 559 Open Back Headphones form a seal around your ears, though it won’t affect the pressure points or cause head and neck strain. These headphones come with a 6.3mm straight, gold-plated plug at the end. While you are going to get a wonderful sound experience, this model is not noise-canceling.
- These headphones have a long, 9-foot cable.
- They come with a padded headband that is adjustable for the intended fit.
- They are very comfortable, having replaceable ear cushions coated in velour.
- They don’t have a 3.5mm adapter plug
- They don’t come with accessories, either.
- They have no color options.
All in all, they are listed as one of the best open back headphones below $150 as they are made to allow for maximum comfort and convenience of usage. Though they don’t come with a 3.5mm adapter plug, they deliver an amazing listening experience with great sound quality.
2. AKG Pro Audio K612PRO Reference Studio Headphone
You can buy some fantastic open back headphones with a $150 budget. These AKG Pro Audio devices come with patented Varimotion diaphragm technology that delivers responses suitable for studio monitoring and referencing.
You’ll definitely enjoy the frequency response of the AKG Pro Audio K612PRO because they have a wide audio bandwidth between 12 Hz and 39kHz, which is expected to provide you with a full spectrum. These headphones have a large impedance (120 Ohms), which will require enough power in your amp or any device that lets you listen to the sound. You may not be able to use these headphones with a laptop or smartphone.
- They have an adjustable headband and soft ear pads, features that made them very comfortable.
- They are sold with a convenient 3.5mm plug
- They produce a thorough, balanced sound.
- They don’t come with a detachable cable
- They are thick and heavy
- They don’t come with a microphone
These headphones produce an impressive sound that makes your listening experience a pleasurable one. Also, they enable you to adjust the headband to fit ideally. Besides, they have very soft ear pads that give you comfort when listening.
3. Sennheiser PC 360 Special Edition Gaming Headset
These headphones have soft ear cushions that are made of velvet. They come with a noise-canceling microphone – a typical feature of any normal gaming headphone. The crystal-clear game talk has no static, feedback, or interference, so you will have a robust experience using the device. To mute the mic, lift the boom arm to make it stop automatically. The volume control for the mic is located on the ear cup. You will find it convenient and enjoyable to use.
- These headphones come with an added PCV07 combo audio adapter which has a 3.5mm audio jack output.
- They are compatible with Macs, PCs, Playstation 4, and any device that uses a 3.5mm jack.
- They employ excellent transducer technology, using a frequency response ranging from 15Hz to 28,000Hz and an impedance of 500hms.
- They are thick and heavy
- The microphone is not detachable.
- They have no carrying case.
These PC 360 headphones are compatible with various devices, hence convenient and comfortable for users. They provide great sound quality. They can be heavy to carry, so take that into cognizance if you will like to buy these below $150 open back headphones.
4. ASTRO Gaming A40 TR Gaming Headset
These headphones, which are designed like a tank, are so durable that you will enjoy using them for a long period. Their adjustable thick double headband can be customized for a fit, big, square-shaped, extra padded ear cups, as well as a big microphone.
The exterior of the ear cups is designed with a diagonal mesh that covers the open back design. With the Dolby 7.1 virtual surround, you will get an awesome sound quality to play games, take phone calls, listen to music, audiobooks or podcasts. However, you will experience a sound leak from the ear cups of these headphones because they don’t have noise cancellation or isolation.
The precision microphone is not only very sensitive, it is also omnidirectional – a feature that allows you to custom-position it to any angle you like.
It eliminates background noise by zeroing in on your voice. You can effortlessly swap the mic by positioning it on either side of the headset.
- The attached Y splitter enables you to use the headphones with Mac, PC, smartphone, tablet, Xbox, PlayStation 4, and other devices.
- With the aid of a magnetic speaker tag system, you can customize the headphones.
- Likewise, with the Mod Kit line feature, you can customize the headphones to closed-back style, add noise-canceling abilities, and use various ear pads.
- They have no carrying case
- The cable connections can be sensitive.
- You must buy separate kits to customize them.
All in all, these headphones are excellent for gaming. With a variety of customization options, they can be used on different devices and consoles. So, they are a great option if you’re searching for the best open back headphones under $150 for an awesome gaming experience.
5. Grado Prestige Series SR125e Open Back Headphones
This is one of the luxurious headphones brands that produce great audio equipment. Being made in the US is a plus. As one of the lower-priced open back headphone models at under $150, you are guaranteed value for money. The headphones have a classic design, with a 1940’s retro look, nice leather bag, and decent round ear. These are wired headphones that come with a foot thick and durable stable and 32 0hms impedance.
- They are designed to be convenient and comfortable for users
- They come with multiple adapter sizes that enable users to select from a variety of connection options.
- They have excellent sound quality.
- They do not come with accessories.
- The headphones or cables have no volume controls.
- They don’t come with microphones.
All in all, these on-ear headphones provide users with a wonderful casual listening experience. They are made to be convenient for use and comfortable for wearers, though the sound leakage may not make them the best option to use in public.